Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Did It For Dad #7





I never wanted to attend Howard University nor did I want to major in Business but I did....and I hated every minute of it. OK I take that back I didn't hate HU that much but the business program was not what I wanted to do in life, its what my father wanted for my brother who didn't take it on so I did.

Since I was 10 years old i wanted to teach, I had my whole college careered planned out by the time I was 13 yrs old....Attend the university of Miami..major in education...come back to DC enroll at grad school at Bowie State teach for a couple of years and then pursue more education..baby girl wanted a PHD. I knew what I wanted and couldn't wait to get accepted... hop on the first flight to Miami and begin a new chapter in my life there.  I thought the day my father was pulling me aside and taking me out on a date was to encourage me to pursue my dreams of becoming a teacher but instead it was the flip side of that. My  father had worked long and hard for years to become his own boss start his own company and by the time I was 15 years old he had done so and made life much more comfortable for us. He wanted my brothers to follow in his foot steps but they both had different plans for their lives and It didn't include taking over his business. We sat at this Lil hole in the wall spot that my father loves and just talked...talked about it all.  My heart was sinking as my father further let me know what this meeting of the minds was about...he never asked me to give up my dream just asked me to consider taking over what he had build for us. He told me he couldn't imagine turning his company to any other person but one of his children and since my brothers made it loud and clear that wasn't the life they wanted he needed me . I was about 100% sure that he must have sat back and practiced this speech a time or two because he had it down back.  I watch my father plead his heart  out to me and shed a tear or two...yeah that man really ran the guilt trip on me. I thought about it long and hard for months...On one hand I wanted to live my own life pursue my own dreams just like he had but on the other hand I could understand the point my father was trying to make..he just wanted to pass on what he had built onto someone who would understand and appreciate it.  So like a good daughter I pushed my dream of teaching to the side and decided to major in business ...You would have thought my father would have been excited about this whole situation he had won the battle and I would do what he wanted and get this business degree and learn his company to one day run it all by myself. But Raymond wasn't finish yet. I thought At least he would let me keep my dream of  attending the University of Miami but nope he wanted me to go to an historic black college which I wasn't against I even offered FAMU has my options but he wasn't going for it. he wanted me right at his old stomping ground Howard University right here in DC (sad face)  That was not what I wanted but i was just out trying to please my father so I follow what he wanted for me and not what I wanted.  Granted...I learned alot at HU...met some great people and even though i will not admit it to him I kinda of loved being so close to home. I have learned alot since joining my father and continue too plus the money is great but it wasn't what I wanted it was just what I settled on for him...My Daddy...So I decided a week ago that I am going back to school but not to pursue a master's in business but to get an degree in education!!!!!!!! I haven't dropped this bomb on my father yet even though its not much he can say I'm grown I can do what I want.  I'm not saying I'm giving up on my father's company or leaving him I'm just saying maybe in the future I'll do this real estate thing part time and teach too who knows i just fill like its something I need to do..So I'm going to do it.

4 comments:

★Starrla said...

Girl you better GET IT!!!! Wow! Daddy got his wish but now it's time for you to pursue your hearts desire. Go for it! He should understand and will still love you nonetheless. Oh yeah, FAMU is my alma mater by the way. There's nothing in the world like a good ol' HBCU!

Monique said...

I think at this point in your life, your dad can't do anything but support your dreams. You've made it this far so surely he knows what you are capable of. Congrats on this. I'm sure you will rock it out.

DianaBoss said...

That's wonderful. First of all not many people have the dedication to put so much energy into a feild that they didn't want. To go to college and study hard for 4 years for someone else's dreams must be difficult. But you did it for your daddy!

Then not many peple have the guts to then pursue their dreams afer they get settled into their careers.

Kudos to you!

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

ay..same boat. music has been in my heart since i was a child. that and sports. buy my parents were NOT with that shit. i HAD to go to college. having a father that's a doctor. a mother that's a lawyer. what did it look like me NOT going to school? both of them went to a HBCU. so of course that sent me to Morehouse. i also wasn't allowed to major in music. so i ended up majoring in engineering which had me at Morehouse & Ga Tech trying to live out their dream. i did graduate & did work for about a year & half. but my heart led me back to music. which it took some time & financial stability and success to convince them but they finally accepted that it is MY life.

long story short. it's your life. i know it'll be upsetting. i know it'll be disheartening. but at some point you have to do it for youself. your dad will understand. like you said it doesn't meant he's left out in the cold with his business, just means at this time you can search for who you are. good luck.